Emergency!
Friday, October 15, 2004
  Bored...but inspired.
My CLit class was wonderful today. We discussed Islam and Islamic culture (two very different things) and also about the image of women in Christianity. A lot of people in our class were butting heads because we have the whole religious rainbow ranging from Catholicism, Muslim, to Islamic, to ....Baptist, and then of course me, the non believer, but oh so critical, thrown in for good measure. The Talker and the Baptist got quite heated at times. She really doesn't like him very much. I hate to say it though, but I agreed with her more than the Talker today. He was off base, but I'll credit him for at least jarring us out of silence with rage.

For example: She elaborated that it isn't religion that can be blamed for oppression of any kind, specifically religious materials. More specifically, the bible. It is we the humans that screw things up with our interpretations, and though I already knew this, she brought up some interesting thoughts about the lifestyles of Hutterite and Mennonite women and how they are more "limited" in their daily lives than many Islamic women are.

Also, another thing that I learned today that I had absolutely no idea about was that the Koran advocated the equal treatment of men and woman, and did not ever advocate woman being in arranged marriages. And it's not an interpretation. It says it all, straight out, in there. The thing about the Taliban specifically though, is that they sort of mushed the Koran together with Hadith (Hadeeth), which is the book of Mohammed the prophet, and took all the parts that they liked and made them relevant to the society that they wanted. Mohammed was married to a business woman, he was her (younger) employee. Not even Mohammed advocated marriage without love, or that women should be insignificant. It was very eye opening, and while I can't pretend to understand a lot about this yet, I really am interested in reading about it now. I still have no idea on what to write the greatest paper in the world on feminist literature about yet though. All these interesting things being thrown at me, but no solid concept to discuss...argh.

Another thing we talked about (and now I realize this very strongly, due to all my "previous" knowlege on this stuff) today was the influence of the western media on the image of the middle east. And it's ridiculous how misled that I, and so many other people have been, due to the convenience of flipping on a biased news report and not going digging for the information ourselves.

For my paper thusfar, I know that I want to write about Zoya's Story and use the Vagina Monologues somehow, and more resources yet to be had. Anyone have any ideas on what though? Cheap outs, I know...but I really want to do good by something, so in order to do so, I need to hash together what I want to talk about ...impossible if all my ideas are all floating dust motes right now.

Must go meet the boys for lunch. Will talk about vagina's incessantly. Perhaps.
 
Comments:
The love you have for the VM's still amazes me. Maybe it's time to wiggle my booty down to the library and read it again.

Muy luv
Power to the Vagina...hahaha...lates
The Sejwick
http://www.livejournal.com/~mc_nasteh
 
Last year in my clit class, when we were doing excerpts of 1001 arabian knights, there was a complaint that the arabic word Allah was translated (correctly so) as "God." Because, apparently, Christian Girl didn't like the implication that it was the same god she believed in.

Christianity and Islam - same content, different authors.

-RAW umber.

(Seriously. I don't know why you put burnt umber in your links there. Raw umber = best colour for painting evar. It's so useful. In the initial sketch - to prevent unsightly white bits - and later for shadows, because plain black or grey will jump right out at you, and just plain not look right. A nice raw umber wash, or a raw umber/black/whatever blend will do it.)
 
Randomness from Sej:

Bwahahhahaha....I just noticed it says your ear is "bouncy". You're the best K.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Death involves an injury?

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / June 2019 /


Link Sluttiness
evil // mad // adam w-b // shane // jaden // ben // robyn // thomas // she took the bomb // the great // ink // my flickr // vasyL // massive missives // street rag
comics of note
questionable content /// able & baker /// bunny /// a softer world /// creatures in my head /// nothing nice to say /// dr. mcninja

Powered by Blogger