Emergency!
Wednesday, November 24, 2004
  Nice Balls
Yesterday, in an at first reluctant agreement, I went bowling with my grandma and Godzilla. And wouldn't you know it, but I felt strangely at peace as I waited for them to show up at the Bonnie Doone bowling alleys. It was empty save for a table of bantering gossippy employees, and the smell of pinesol permeated my nostrils as I dug into my takeout food at the table with the odd assortment of chairs surrounding me. Worn carpet, old wooden creaking benches and slick old linoleum that the signs declared as "tiles", creaking boards under my feet on the lane.

It was just me and the ball. Me, the ball, and the tightly wound bundle of anxiety that has been building up inside my softening body. I bowled a miserable first game, but started studying the man that bowled next to me. He had these beautiful turquoise and white swirled balls, no doubt of optimal proportion to height, body mass and other according factors that go into making hard plastic spheres of frustration venting. He held his ball close to his chest at first, like cradling a newborn. His head would be lowered, and at times it seemed like he was talking to it, communing with the bowling ball deities, or reassuring them that he would no sooner kill his own mother then mis-use the temple of worship within the sport. Every single shot he made would be preceded by this ritual, which I'm sure spanned at least two minutes or more. And wouldn't you know it, he bowled like a bat outta hell. I'd never seen anything like it. This man was obviously engineered for the sport exactly. His skull was distinctly bowling ball shaped, and his hair cut only emphasized that to lop his head off beneath the chin would benefit the executioner a superb piece of bowling equipment. To any other person, this man was unexemplorary, but to me, he was a bowling God. I wanted to ask him if he was pro, but got distracted by the hot employee who was obviously the only employee that exerted himself there.

He was constantly sprinting to the back of the alleys commandeered by screaming six year olds, to untangle lines, to alley anxiety brought on by the shrill squeals of foul line sirens, of malfunction buzzers. His chucks were faded, and carried him like a bird down those sleek alleyways without incident, and I was temporarily enraptured by his jet black curly hair set off by a clever checked shirt and thick framed glasses. That, and everytime he passed us, sweeping meticulously (more meticulously? : P) around our alley, he would often capture my gaze with his, grey eyed and pale, and blush, sweeping away any of the words he could have said that I would have wittily replied to. Damn you shy alternative boys! Ah well...no friendship gained, none lost.

I started mimicking the pro in our second game, curling the ball confidently into my hand, the crook of my arm, making eye contact and urgently whispering, "you best hit some pins bitch, or I'll lose to my stupid aunt." It was spiritual, moving, and hence, very effectual. I bowled a 181. Downsides- I don't think anyone wants to start a team with me. I beat my grandmother. My grandmother now thinks I'm a bowling prodigy and thinks I'll be wasting my "talent" if I don't do something about it. I gotta say though, I really enjoyed it. Looking at it like a revival of a somewhat decaying sport (face it, old people, and birthday parties...?) and feeling decidedly in peaceful solitude whilst doing it, and as a result, so hip it hurts, made me think I should pursue it more. Maybe on my own, but hey, all you Edmontonians! If you want to start a team with me, just lemme know. I'll hook you up.

 
Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
bleh. screwed that up.

anyway, my original comment was:

I haven't bowled in forevers.

Anyway, I'm really posting here to tell you that I've moved my blog.

-raw umber

and then I'm adding to it the fact that the new one is at threedeeglasses.blogspot.com.

Man, there should be an edit button. Erk.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Death involves an injury?

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / June 2019 /


Link Sluttiness
evil // mad // adam w-b // shane // jaden // ben // robyn // thomas // she took the bomb // the great // ink // my flickr // vasyL // massive missives // street rag
comics of note
questionable content /// able & baker /// bunny /// a softer world /// creatures in my head /// nothing nice to say /// dr. mcninja

Powered by Blogger