Emergency!
Thursday, August 25, 2005
  forever, just a word that she said that means never
Today has been a good day. What revelations! After meeting up with Bento, we went to the new coffee shop on the Square. Oh my. It's a beautiful place, but almost too beautiful. Maybe even to the point of sterility. I'm sure any startled looks at the place upon walking in by any of the male population was related to instant impotence more then anything. It's just a visually cold and modern place. But the coffee was good, and they have some chairs, so chances are that I will return anyways, despite my complaints. But not for the expensive sandwhiches.

We also went to Red Strap today, which was one of the highlights. As far as art galleries/shameless hawking of wares areas, it is a great place. It's got a hodgepodge of all things kitschy to the most modern of art and concepts. Nothing was really grabbing my interest though, until we went upstairs. In a Tim Burton-esque fashion, this man, Joe Renaud, does sculpture in the form of several gothic-style dioramas ranging from "Irrational" to "politically incorrect" as well as many other 'themes'. They are incredibly intricate in structure, and formed in such a way that the husk draws you in closer to discover secret openings, or just windows, that reveal the innards of each sculpture, in a fashion similar to an extremely fucked up dollhouse. Each diorama has backstory to it that is readily explained in a placard, or merely by looking at the detailed insides (again, through the windows, orifices, or in a couple of cases, antique furnace vents that the viewer manipulates). Along with little figurines (usually skeletons, but sometimes other miscallaneous figures) he also has words all over the place. Little explanatory captions, exclamations, or even long poems. It was amazingly done, and now I'm curious about sculpture again.
I've always saved little bits and pieces, but I've never conglomerated them into something. Perhaps I'll start thinking about it more. Renaud made the bulk of his sculptures out of painted and glued cardboard too, which is exciting-- because finding art that can be done cheaply and accessibly is always exciting.

I've also been thinking about painting a lot lately too, and my thoughts are still returning back to Shane's picture. I really want to paint it. However, I also realize I should finish the other project I started last summer. Just a little bit left I think.

Later we went to The Fringe, which was also smashingly good. 'American Cake' (Ummm...don't quote me on that play name) was a one man show that totally exceeded my expectations. The guy was fucking awesome, and had a seriously wicked sense of humor. Except he kept looking at our corner where we were sitting (the second row of all of five rows), and it was a little unnerving, because I couldn't figure out why. However, I also lost a two dollar bet that his 'cake' was only metaphorical. Sure enough, he mangled a Betty Crocker lemon cake for the majority of the show. Usually you'd think that would be lame, having a real 'cake' for a play that was conveying a metaphor, but somehow it worked. And him talking with his mouth full occasionally only added to the hilarity. Lastly, the guy can sure imitate a frenchman well. Like, in the really funny way that only befits an imitation of a french guy.

I was wondering, if a one man show (After seeing this one) would be something I could try. I'm always amusing stand-up comedy in the back of my mind, and I love spoken word, but I also enjoy goofing off in front of an audience just as much. I guess I really also liked the story-telling aspect of this play tonight, and the intimacy that he was able to hold with the audience. I wouldn't even know where to begin past a script obviously, to do this though.

Am I easily influenced, or am I just really itching for creative outlets I slowly discover?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Death involves an injury?

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / June 2019 /


Link Sluttiness
evil // mad // adam w-b // shane // jaden // ben // robyn // thomas // she took the bomb // the great // ink // my flickr // vasyL // massive missives // street rag
comics of note
questionable content /// able & baker /// bunny /// a softer world /// creatures in my head /// nothing nice to say /// dr. mcninja

Powered by Blogger