Emergency!
Tuesday, August 16, 2005
  It was a dark and stormy night...
What do you get when you combine a "confirmation that Windigo 'exists'" with a non-fiction book about canadian mountain men that put the Ozarks to shame, an over reactive imagination, and a drafty dark bunkroom facing nothing but vast forest?

Simply put, not much sleep. The worst part is that since I've never seen "the artist's conception" of what a Windigo [1] looks like, of course I would spend the night coming up with my own detailed and horrifying idea. In retrospect, it would make a good comic strip (the actual creature as I see it), but damn.


Yesterday I brought the Junior [2] out by myself. I lost the sheet for the head sail up the mast however, so was only availed of the mainsail for the trip. Which made it ridiculously easy to sail, but it was still fun. It was gusty enough (and surprisingly "Fall" like) that I had a good run.

[1] The Windigo is originally a Cree myth that involved a half werewolf, half vampiric person with a constantly freezing heart, who ran around sucking the blood of the innocent, or animals. However, as I read in the Journal the other day, it is somewhat verifiable of an idea, if not flawed. There is a type of paranoid schizophrenia, or a trait, rather, of some mentally ill that is something akin to self-cannibalism. Add that to the very real possibility that there were still mentally ill people running amok back in the day also, and Windigo is highly feasible. If it was a bad enough case, I imagine that villages would probably turf them into the wild to fend for themselves also. The kicker of the story in the Journal was that apparently, the guy was trying to disprove his grandmother's belief in the creature, but actually found a grave surrounded in barbed-wire where the "original" beheaded Windigo man was.

When you look at that though, it's pretty debunkable. You don't want your relatives graves desecrated by animals or thieves? Surround it with barbed wire, right? Anyways... This is all just a lot of filler. The IDEA of the Windigo man is what robbed me of sleep.

[2] The Junior (J-12) is the twelve foot sailboat that my dad has. It's teeny tiny, and a hell of a lot more exciting to sail then the Tanzer 26 (T-26) which tops 26 feet. I think that the 'letter-#' thing should be pretty self explanatory, but some of my readers never cease to amaze me...
 
Comments:
*cough*
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Death involves an injury?

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / June 2019 /


Link Sluttiness
evil // mad // adam w-b // shane // jaden // ben // robyn // thomas // she took the bomb // the great // ink // my flickr // vasyL // massive missives // street rag
comics of note
questionable content /// able & baker /// bunny /// a softer world /// creatures in my head /// nothing nice to say /// dr. mcninja

Powered by Blogger