Emergency!
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
  Profound
I was riding up the elevator to get to the apartment, and an older gent was in alongside me. I noticed that he was going to the Penthouse floor, and was mildly puzzled for a moment, because earlier attempts to even explore the penthouse floor had failed miserably, albeit substance abuse may have been a factor in that. I asked him stupidly if he thus had an apartment up there, to which he answered yes, and I told him I had never been up there (that I'd tried, and for some reason, it hadn't worked). I decided I'd just go up to the PH with him to check it out, see if maybe I could see the pool or something, in all it's magnificant disrepair, and he told me about how different the PH suites were. We got off the elevator and sort of left it at that while I wandered around the corner to confront a doubly locked door and griped, assuming he'd gone his merry way to his own apartment to have crumpets and tea or something distinguished. Because he struck me as being such, somehow, and yet still very down to earth, as far as you can value first impressions anyways.

So I came back around the corner, and he stuck his head out his door and asked if I'd like to take a look, as I'd exclaimed over the possibility of floor length windows on the elevator, especially facing North. And of course, being the cautious paranoid girl that I was, I nervously accepted the offer and he ushered me into his apartment, quite non-threateningly. And what an apartment! It's (superficial, I know) absolutely gorgeous. I had wondered what the lighting situation on the north side of the building would be like, but these windows are incredible. It's great light, not too bright, not too dim, and the windows stretch the entire width of the living room (two
"leveled" living room). And his apartment was littered with art. Old African face masks, drawings, paintings, just the most extraordinary art. But it was terrific too, because it was just so humble. He had like a beautiful long chaise, but he also had four milk crates (black) underneath a set of wooden platters that served as a coffee table, and his draft desk was this sturdy yet makeshift thing in the corner...it turns out that he has two bedrooms by the way, as well as a kitchen and a laundry room (with all the amenities), AND a washer and dryer. Lucky guy. He told me that he pays about $1000 a month, and I can see that it is worth every penny, because that "space" is just incredible. I would take a space like that, and live in it forever, seriously. It's not too small, but it's small enough to be cosy. Granted, it is people that "make the space" though too. But all this long rant is neither here nor there.

I won't say his name, but this man is incredibly accomplished. He's a sculptist, and also a retired Epidemiology prof from a place that I have been to in Quebec. His sculpture is what figures predominantly in his life right now, and he actually has an unveiling coming up in November for a cement reproduction of one of his sculptures to go on Rice Howard Way, that now, I'm incredibly curious about. We ended up talking about art and the location of the apartment and stuff for quite a while actually, and ended up exchanging email addresses (because I have no phone) with the intent of having coffee one day. He seems like a very interesting person to know, and he's very art smart, I was really impressed. And the sculpture that he had lying around was really awesome too. Apparently he has a studio where he does most of his work, down by Rice Howard also, which is insane.

So...then I came home, and looked around my place...which is awesome but then I was like, "a classy gent like that, come over here for coffee? I will wait until we have pictures up." LOL.
 
Comments:
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a art website freelance artist employment

That promotes my very good friend Mark Connors artwork that pretty much covers freelance artist employment
articles and other related themes.
Mark's work is the produce of his passion for art, when looking at every piece the attention to detail is nothing short of spectacular and many a person will notice different details upon each viewing, they are truly a joy to observe. There are many talented artists around the world but few achieve the effect in their work as Mark does, when looking at his work that there is more than just a painting or a illustration there is a element of fantasy behind each piece that brings the inner child out of you and draws you in.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Death involves an injury?

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / June 2019 /


Link Sluttiness
evil // mad // adam w-b // shane // jaden // ben // robyn // thomas // she took the bomb // the great // ink // my flickr // vasyL // massive missives // street rag
comics of note
questionable content /// able & baker /// bunny /// a softer world /// creatures in my head /// nothing nice to say /// dr. mcninja

Powered by Blogger