Emergency!
Monday, February 06, 2006
 
You know....some people deserve to be thrown down a garbage chute sometimes, from like, the twenty-third floor. Just like the live rabbit I was told about today, who was found in the dumpster, still alive, with a black eye, but relatively unharmed.[1] This is just one of many animal woes in our building lately. A few weeks ago, three kittens were left in a box in the stairwell. But still, that poor rabbit. How does it cross someone's mind that this is a logical course of action?

Lately, I've been really busy, hence the lack of any posts of substance. Last week I went to the Edward Burtynsky exhibit at the EAG with Joel and Allan, but otherwise laid fairly low due to my weird financial fluctuations. But back to Burtynsky...I was really impressed by the exhibit. It was amazing. It's one thing to see photography exhibits, but a complete other thing to see the vastness of these chromotography prints showing, really, the vastness of our impact on earth. He has an incredible eye for composition, and for once I wasn't thinking, "it's only in an art gallery because that dude was lucky to have a camera when that happened..." Because the stuff that Burtynsky was capturing has been happening for a long time. All of his photography displays the culmination of what we are doing to the earth; not just a turtle trapped in a sixpack ring, but say, a mountain of tires photographed in such a way that you can see the individual details of each, but also see them as they sit there in piles of thousands of rubber that isn't going anywhere except into the atmosphere when they're burnt. Also riveting were the photos of the quarries, especially the marble quarries in Italy. It all just made me wonder and think about so many things. Resources, who was using them, how long each "event" had been going on for...everything. Lastly, the ship dismantling yards in Bangladesh were incredible, and actually, downright spooky to see. How could something so massive and resource exhausting, have such a seemingly short life? I'm sure that the oldest ship we saw there was no older than 60 years. For a big hunk of floating metal...it seemed dumb that they wouldn't have longer lives. Though yes, there are a whole lot of other factors that would come into play with the lifespan of a cargo ship past what it was made from.

We also breezed through "Itukiagatta", but really, what's fun about looking at cultural appropriation with completely inadequate description? When I see something on a plinth or a pedestal that is so completely out of context in it's surroundings, that I could buy a replica of for $50 around the corner at a tourist shop, I feel ripped off, and I feel like the people that made them are very definately ripped off, although for different reasons. After a lifetime of seeing little soapstone statues at millions of tourist shops, I feel bad when I see them in museums or galleries, because of thoughts like that. Art as a commodity is a hard concept to swallow. I think the kicker was that the collection belonged to a banker who used to work up North, and felt that "these things should be shared with the world" instead of leaving them there. It reeks of salvage paradigm.

To the credit of the actual work and carvings we saw, they were exquisite. Like, some of them were amazing, except again, with so little background available to each sculpture, it sucked. When the only thing that comes to my mind when looking at a piece of art is, "oooh....that looks pretty," something is wrong.

Today, I spent the day getting little errands done. I went to the bank and figured out why bounced cheques bounce (pay attention, it's called "$200 partial"), and got the "partial" removed so it doesn't occur again. I also applied for my first pre-approved credit card. Oh baby. Oh baby. Emergencies only. Although, I'm sure we all start out saying that.

T-24 days until John gets here. We are going to the Moneen concert at PowerPlant on March 3rd...come one come all! The guy's never been to a concert before...we gotta make it rock for him. My aunt has thrown a little stick into the equation, as she's apt to do at her leisure, that might get interesting though. She's going to BC on March 2nd, and wants me to house-sit and look after le chien until that following Sunday that she gets back. I am not enthused about this at all, but at the same time, we'll have the place to ourselves, and she is letting us use the Explorer. It's rather annoying, and I can't put my finger on why...Oh, I know...because it's not my place. That bugs the hell out of me. I just wanted to have him over at OUR place. Not anyone elses place. Because I've never had a boyfriend come to the place that I live in, that is actually my home. Even if it is only until August. So, I've been entertaining thoughts of just bringing the dog to our house for three days or so. I'd have to worry about parking, and (LOL) talk to Adam about the dog (LOL), but really...I'd be much happier. I don't like her house. I don't like the idea of a spare bedroom done up in chantilly lace. I don't want to eat her food. I want John to be able to go where ever he wants to conveniently (LRT and whatnot), and not be stranded in suburbia. And fuck...I don't want to have to drive to school and park there. I am not waking up at the crack of dawn to take the number 8 to get to school.

Lastly, I talked to my brother and his wife last night (they finally got a phone, and it's a Vonage phone), which was really nice. I really like his wife, she's an awesome girl. The little bun in the oven is doing well, and currently enjoys kicking the crap out of it's mother's belly button. My brother has finally caught baby-fever and now spends his time buying baby crap on E-Bay, when he's not out buying baby crap in Penticton. It's thrilling! Apparently his wife thinks the baby will be a boy also, which is what I thought at the beginning. [2]

[1] They don't know from which floor it was sent from.

[2] I'm going to lose $5.00 if I'm wrong. To my Grandma.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Death involves an injury?

ARCHIVES
August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / June 2019 /


Link Sluttiness
evil // mad // adam w-b // shane // jaden // ben // robyn // thomas // she took the bomb // the great // ink // my flickr // vasyL // massive missives // street rag
comics of note
questionable content /// able & baker /// bunny /// a softer world /// creatures in my head /// nothing nice to say /// dr. mcninja

Powered by Blogger